Monday, November 2, 2015

Another memory in California

I travel to California for work a lot.  Not quite so often these days, but there was a period of about 2 years of my life where my client would joke that they just should just have bought me an apartment out there.

As I walked around with a coworker on my latest trip there, I remarked that both the hotel and the office I work at there were the backdrops to many fairly big work/life moments.  I can remember standing by the window in the client's office as my awesome manager announced to me that he was leaving our firm after over a decade.  I recall being told I had made consultant at our firm, and then promptly walking to the Nordstrom across the street to buy myself a congratulatory present (a big expensive ring I still wear daily).  I remember standing by that same window a couple years later, feeling elated and a bit teary eyed while being told my bonus and raise information after a really successful year.

This trip was no different.

The one good thing about being sent for genetic counseling is that it also qualified me to have a special blood test, which tests for 3 various chromosomal abnormalities.  It also is able to tell the sex of the baby.  Right now our family has no idea that we even know; they all still think we are weeks away from finding out at the anatomy scan.

We had to wait a week for results, and I had to fill out a form that gave them permission to tell me the sex.  I was very clear on the form - tell me, tell me now!! And yet, when I checked the voicemail left for me from the hospital....no sex.

Now, the good news is, the nurse left the really important information, which is that our baby is not at  a higher risk for the 3 issues tested for.

That is awesome!

But...no sex?

I listened to the voicemail two more times.

No sex.

It was now 4:15pm EST.  I frantically called the hospital, as well as my OB (who also gets a copy of the results), but to no avail.  I was going to be in suspense for as long as it took someone to call me back.  At close to closing time, I wasn't hopeful I was going to find out before the next day.

But then an hour later, while walking back to my hotel room with some lunch, my phone rang.  I practically threw the food and everything I was carrying to the ground; I couldn't get to my cell phone fast enough.

Hello?!

Is this Karen?

YES!

Did you want to know the sex of your baby?

YES!!

"Congratulations...you are having a baby girl."

I responded with something which I'm sure didn't even sound like English, raced back to my hotel room, and called my husband.  I just said over and over again, "It's a girl!"

The next day, after a long day of meetings with the client, as I was walking back to my hotel room, I passed by that same spot.  I smiled to myself and thought, "And that's the walkway where I learned I was having a girl."

That California memory is my favorite.







2 comments:

  1. Awwww. Boss I'm so freaking happy for you. I know you and J are going to raise an amazing daughter. That's a pretty good memory for place you have put so much hard work into. Let me know when you are in CA next.

    -Maithili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks Maithili! I probably won't be back there for awhile, but when I do, I will! Hope all is well there.

      Delete